Saturday, June 4, 2011

There Is a Reason

I am curious why when the world is studying alternative forms of energy no one has thought to study little boys. Not only are they energetic, they are filled with the ability to scale things you never thought they would and they are also able to get going as soon as their feet hit the floor. No waiting for the whole zero to sixty thing, feet on the floor and SIXTY…GO!

I was born into a small family, my Mom was one of two girls, I never met my birth Father or his family and I lived with my Grandparents a good portion of my life, so I know how to be quiet because that's what I did to survive. I also know that according to my family at the time that they thought "Children should be seen and not heard". I had a wonderful cloth bag filled with blocks and if I wanted to get crazy I could use my Grandma's weird exercise thing. It was a 12" square piece of wood that was essentially a turn table that you stood on and basically twisted back and forth…Woo! Not very big fun and lonely too.

The reason I bring this up is that having my nephews with us has helped me understand why Mark has always said "There is a reason you don't have boys." I am wired for calm thoughtful introspective moments with short bursts of fun and frivolity, shopping for cute clothes and trying new makeup tips. There is also the fact that my girls are now old enough that they sleep in which is a huge bonus! I have always been on edge around my other nephews as well. I have never understood the intense boy energy or the fact that boys do everything they can to come close to killing themselves in the interest of fun. I would have never made it as a mother to a boy. I am certain I would have had a nervous breakdown. Mark is right, there is a reason I don't have boys, the reason is I was meant to have three fabulous girls and slowly learn about how to be a Mom. From the looks of things this weekend, having boys is a crash course in guiding them through life without them doing themselves in. I am actually happy that God decided to bless me with girls. I am also delighted I have this chance to take some little boys for a test run so that I could understand what Mark has been saying all these years, there is a reason I don't have boys!

No comments: