Monday, March 18, 2013

WWW

I have spent a good part of this morning poking around the World Wide Web. I have planned a family trip for this summer, looked at possible diagnoses for someone’s symptoms, I have checked the weather, checked email and Facebook. I am completely connected to everything. I am in the know. Now I sit here wondering, why do I need to know so much?

On the one hand knowing every detail about everything is very handy. I can be my own doctor, learn how to repair a small computer problem and even see an aerial view of my house (that’s pretty cool). On the other hand I tend to spend way too much time staring into this computer screen and less time interacting with real people. I am happy just getting a casual overview of others lives by viewing their casual quips on Facebook, why bother with one on one contact, when you can stalk quietly out of view. I can say positively what is happening with someone I know without the benefit of a conversation. Actually the computer, IPhone and IPad are literally sucking all my time right out of me. I will say to myself “just one quick game of _______(fill in the blank)” and in no time at all, the electrical device of choice is running low on battery. There is quick access to any information I wish, but once I connect I cannot disconnect. I am really trying to limit my connection time to the Web, games and other social media locations but I am failing miserably.

How did any of us ever survive with only the television and telephone to connect us to the world? Seriously, I do not think there is any such thing as a secret anymore! The hard part is I sound all high and mighty, but I am guilty. I am guilty of living my life wrapped tightly to the information highway and although I protest, I really do not care. As a matter of fact I have an email to write and a Facebook message to answer and these things do not write themselves, at least not on my electronics. Perhaps on my next upgrade...anyway once you are in the know you cannot help but stay in the know, it’s a very comfortable place to be. I skipped a bunch of phone calls, went straight to the web and found a place to stay for our family trip this summer. Now I am going to check my email and see what the holdup is with some legal stuff and then pop over to Facebook and write a friend back. Hopefully if I finish all that quick enough I will allow myself a quick game of euchre on the computer. Did you laugh when you read “a quick game of Euchre?” I know I laughed when I wrote it. So, perhaps one day you and I will bump into each other as we surf the web. Be sure to text me “Hi” if you see me.

No comments: