Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Some Moments Really Matter



This morning we woke up to a slippery inch of snow. It was expected, but I think all of us assumed it would be no big deal. We were wrong. That light layer of snow had the slightest bit of ice underneath and it has caused a lot of accidents and stress for many, including me, as I sent my family off for the day. 

Interesting to me though that what seemed like no big deal really was. Honestly, how often do things happen in our lives that at the time seem insignificant but later after reflection turn out to be more important than we realize. So often in our lives we are so busy being busy that we lose sight of the moments that really matter.

There are the quiet moments when you are sitting with someone you love just talking about your lives or the person with the full grocery cart that turns to you and says "That's all you have? Why don't you go ahead of me?" The day you run into someone you had been thinking about and had not seen in a while or a compliment that was unexpected but badly needed on a not so great day.

There are so many subtle moments that if we took the time could change our day or maybe even our life and they are all out there happening every single day. I feel challenged today to take a closer look at the tough stuff, the clouds if you will, and look for the silver linings. This slippery snow while difficult for driving is beautiful when the sun reflects off of it. I am feeling a bit cozy as I write because my dog (Roxanne) is curled up next to me, this makes me feel warm and loved which makes me feel loving in return. Some moments really matter.

No comments: