Friday, March 30, 2012

Dog Sitting

We are leaving soon on a Spring Break trip. We have a fabulous person that is going to care for my Puppy Princess Roxanne, but I thought I should lay out a few details for them so that they would understand how to handle her. I am sharing this with you today, because I realized after reading this that my dog actually owns me and not the other way around! Enjoy…



 If she is doing something and you want her to stop, say NO in a firm voice. Remember you are in charge of her not the other way around she can get very bossy, especially when popcorn is involved! She will bark at you until you give her a piece of popcorn and once you do you will have to share, which she does not do well at all. We give her pretzels here and there and we also give her small baby carrots from time to time but other than that no people food please. She is sassy enough and once she has people food we may not be able to tame her!

 I usually take Roxanne on a short walk in the morning so she can take care of her business and then make sure she gets out every two or three hours. If you forget, she may scratch at the door. She is very good about not going in the house unless she gets forgotten and then she will go. If I had to go and I had no other choice I would do the same thing…just sayin! She will also need to go out after her dinner. She normally does her important work twice a day (if you know what I mean) morning and early evening. She will walk with you whenever you want, but she normally is too lazy to go very far (she gets bored).

 Roxanne eats breakfast usually around 7:30 AM. If you are enjoying break and want to sleep in she will sleep too unless she is real hungry. Put once she eats and goes potty she is not above going back to bed if that is what you want to do. She is a cuddlier. If you have a cozy lap or soft blanket she is happy. Dinner time is around 5:30 PM. At dinnertime Roxanne is not as easy going. She will start a low growl around 5:00 PM just to remind you it time to eat, do not let her get bossy. Feed her when you are ready. Trust me my little beefcake is not starving! 

 Roxanne has been running off lately because she loves spring! She will sprint across the yard and she has been known to chase a car or two. Last week for example she dashed out in the street after a car. She did get hit by a car a couple of years ago when she ran right at it. She thinks she is a tough cookie and the cars should be afraid. It would be best to keep her on the leash. She will promise to stay by you in the yard, but beware…SHE LIES!!


Perhaps reading this, you are now wondering what you have gotten yourself into, but I know you will be fine. Just remember that you cannot believe anything she says, she is not above jumping on a kitchen chair and stealing your meal and she is the cutest, lovingest Puppy Princess ever. Thank you for caring for her!

When you go out, you just have to say "Time for crate" and Roxanne will go in her crate and wait for a treat. Just be sure to let her outside when you get home. You can also tell her "time for bed" and she will go lay down in her crate at night, just know that she will probably climb in bed with you in the middle of the night. If you don't want that just repeat, "Time for bed".

 
PHEW, I think that's it…honestly after reading this, I think I am the one who is trained!

 
As for the Kitties, make sure they have food and water a couple of days and if they get out they will usually sit on the front window sill and wait to be let in. Oliver and Emeril are much easier to care for. Just fill their bowl with food and pet them if they ask you to.

 
As you can tell, I am overly concerned about my dog's well being even though she will be in very loving and capable hands. The sad part is I have never written an in depth letter like this about any of my children when we have left them. That is just embarrassing. I also want you to note how easy cats are to take care of. Honestly, more people should own cats. Being owned by a dog is a lot of work!
My Owner: (You just have to LOVE that face!)
I have sent along treats and a bag of food, plus some of Roxanne's toys. She loves to play when she is in the mood.

No comments: