Wednesday, March 7, 2012

DIY or DETAI


With a graduation party set to begin in four months, I am beginning to look around and panic at all the started projects that we are doing ourselves and wonder if we made the right choice. Right now my back yard has a Y shaped ditch the runs from the middle of my yard to the very back (can you say MUD?). I also have a basement that is still in the throes of what some like to call remodel, but I just call a big stressful mess. Dust, drop clothes and paint cans (and did I say dust?), abound in the area where I had hoped to serve food and refreshments. This brings me to the question of the day should we be Doing It Ourselves (DIY) or Don't Even Think About It? (DETAI).

This was mid project...the hole is covered
but the mud remains. It had to be done
and it saved us tons of cash, but my yard, my yard!!
BOO HOO HOO!!!

Last night when I opened the basement door to ask Mark a question a large cloud of dust ran up my basement stairs and settled it's self on everything in its path. In an attempt to speed along the DIY process my husband had decided to use an electric sander. I understand wanting to move this big job along, but this was not the answer; it felt like a bomb had gone off down there. I have not even attempted to go down there yet, because I know I am going to cry when I see the clean sheets that were folded on the dryer and all the various other items down there covered in a thick layer of more work…I mean dust. I have said several times that we should hand this over to a professional, but Mark is determined to finish the job, the problem is this job is going to finish me and if we are not careful it could polish off a marriage (that was added for dramatic effect, but you get the point).

 
My backyard is a whole other problem. There are mounds of dirt in piles and tree branches in piles and I would be out there sobbing over all of it, but it is just too windy and muddy out there. All I keep thinking is how in the heck are we going to get it all done before the graduation party? I get the whole DIY thing, but when do you cut your losses and call in some back up? Perhaps I could pick up a volley ball set and we could offer mud volley ball as an activity at the Grad party.

 
I think I am going to have to just push this DIY train up the hill and try to keep it on the track. We are short on time and I am short on patience and anxiety medication but we have no choice, the show must go on! I will probably need to sit down with my husband and have a serious talk about what I will turn into if this drags on much longer and gets too much closer to the party date with these projects piled around me. It has come down to me saying "You think I am driving you crazy now with my anxiety? You ain't seen nothing yet!" The next time I get an idea for a project around here and my hubby thinks he can handle it I am going to say "Don't even think about it!" I mean really, how much is a woman suppose to take anyway?

No comments: