Friday, February 10, 2012

Stuff Torture

I am a fairly reasonable person. I have my quirks, but over all I can handle just about any situation that comes up when I set my mind to it. Today I am faced with an issue that drives me insane and yet no matter what I do, I end up back at square one. I am being driven mad by the old fashioned art of Stuff Torture. Perhaps you have the same problem at your house.

It starts slowly, something simple like a blanket left out after an evening of watching television or a plate or cup forgotten on a table. Over time it builds into this endless path of bending over and picking up of large amounts of small forgotten items. This is where the torture part starts to mount, because after bending and picking up small inconsequential items for days in a row, you finally blow and say (or yell) something to the lucky family member who is nearby and they stare at you like you are crazy and then say something like "it's just a glass" or "Calm down, why are you getting so mad over a simple blanket?"

Either the whole family is in on this torture, or they are all just unable to see the glass or plate once the food or beverage is removed from it. What are the odds this is a slow methodical way of driving me insane so that my family can be rid of me? Then my family could leave dishes, blankets and clutter everywhere without the crazy lady making a comment.

Regardless I am on to them and I intend to fight back. Here are some ideas I have to beat them at their own game.

  • Mark item with a police marker like they use in a crime scene, that way I can pick it up and still clearly mark who left the evidence.
  • Put each item in a big box and store them away until there are no blankets or dishes or random homework assignments in sight. (problem: no dishes or blankets would be left)
  • Start leaving all my stuff out too…the old join them if you can't beat them trick!

Perhaps this all sounds crazy, but that is where am headed anyway so why not practice. Try to understand, I am not talking about once a day or once a week, it is every day, all day long with no end in sight. You cannot expect a person to come up against this and not blow…I am not as strong as I pretend to be. I am reasonable and quirky, but I do not intend to add insane or crazy to my personality resume. "So take this as my rebel yell family…yea, you there walking away from your glass…I'm talking to you!"


 

No comments: