Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Happy Valentine’s Day!


Many years ago when Mark and I started dating I decided to make him a giant Valentines card. I made this big heart shaped card out of poster board and glitter and then asked his Mom if I could come over on my work lunch hour and put it in his room to surprise him. For the record, my husband was living at home while working at his first job after finishing college. I am telling you this so you do not think I married a Momma's boy. Any way…

 
To this day every year I hand make my Valentines and over time I have extended the tradition to my children. Some years are more extravagant then others. This year I went a little love crazy… I made hand dipped chocolate strawberries. This sounds extravagant, but it was actually pretty simple;
  1. Buy strawberries (wash and then dry carefully with paper towel)
  2. Dunk in melted chocolate and drizzle with alternate color if desired
  3. Chill in fridge
  4. TA DA!
Next I made earrings for my girls…I know, right? I went to Michael's, our local craft store and purchased some heart charms. I already had the earring hooks from a previous foray into jewelry making so I just used those. The pictures below outline the process if any of you want to try it. I was thrilled to tell the girls this morning "I made them myself" as they nibbled on their pink and red sprinkled donuts. Avery of course thought it was completely unfair since I bought Mark an entire coffee cake. Whatever, I know that my work is never done when it comes to proving my love to my children, someone always feels cheated.

 

Unpack all your goodies and get started

Hold the hook and gently open loop with small wire cutters or pliers



Add the charm be careful to place it facing in the right direction and then close the loop

Gaze lovingly at your creations

Valentines for my Valentines.
(My sweet Ashleigh, please note yours is on top and
you will recieve it when we see you on Saturday!)
Have fun today everyone!!

No comments: