Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Learned Something New Today


 

I have been trying to get healthier lately. This probably sounds crazy considering that I have had a horrible infection from my surgery last fall and on the heels of my recovery from that I was slammed with a cold that knocked me for a loop. Now I am feeling pretty good and looking ahead to a family vacation in early April that will require me to uncover my winter girth and put on a swimsuit, sooooo, I am working out more and for good measure I had decided to restart my vitamin regime.

This morning after my workout I made myself a delicious healthy breakfast grabbed a big glass of water, a multivitamin and sat down at the table to eat. As I finished up my breakfast I started getting an OH OH feeling in my tummy and went running to the restroom certain that this was not going to end well. My mouth was filling with saliva and my tummy was flipping over and over, but as I lifted the lid and seat of the toilet I realized that I had some work to do before I prayed to the Porcelain God's (as the saying goes). I quickly ran to the bathroom cupboard and grabbed a giant container of Lysol wipes and promptly cleaned up. As luck would have it my cleaning genes helped settle my tummy and I went on my merry way no worse for the wear.

As I mentioned this episode to Mark he recommended I Goggle search Multivitamins and see what comes up (sorry, bad pun). Well, who knew a simple vitamin could cause such a controversy. Apparently, there are many people who become nauseous (like I do) when taking vitamins. Here are the top three reasons provided by random people on Goggle:

  1. Zinc, Many people pointed to this as a cause
  2. Niacin, Another possible culprit
  3. Coating on the pill, Some felt the coating caused a too slow breakdown of the vitamin

I have decided that I will try one of the suggestions on the various websites and buy an adult chewable vitamin. I feel so much better knowing that I am not crazy, that my vitamins are making me nauseous and that I am not alone. There is always comfort in numbers! I am happy that Goggle helped me feel better, not worse as sometimes happens when you go trolling there with health questions. So I learned something new today. I am feeling better and making healthy decisions. Now it is important to stay healthy and not fall victim to anymore illnesses real or imagined!

No comments: