Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Over Achiever?


Yesterday a dear friend of mine accused me of being an over achiever because I made music note shaped sugar cookies for my daughter's choir class and caramel corn for the staff at the doctor's office. Hmm…could she be right? Why did I do that? Well I think I might know the reason and it came to me last night as I stood in my kitchen melting chocolate for another hair brained scheme. I like baking. I also like making treats that make people smile.

 
This might explain why when I found a recipe for a vanilla and brown sugar body scrub I got excited. I know I could give this lovely gift to friends who would not appreciate a giant tub of caramel corn. This item is another reason to bring a smile to someone's face and it also will not add a pound to their body.

 
Perhaps the excitement I feel when I give a gift does not make me so much an over achiever as it makes me someone who loves to give. I know years ago my brother-in-law was mocking me on Christmas because I had given a gift of a manicure and lunch to a sister-in-law. He commented that I always gave gifts where I reaped the benefit too. The truth was and still is that I love giving a gift that allows me to spend time with the person and if I cannot spend time with them I can at least give them something that I took the time to craft lovingly for them. I think it is fun to do and it brings joy to me and the gift receiver. To me this is win/win for all.
 As I spent last night dipping marshmallows in chocolate and crushed candy canes for hot cocoa and unwrapping dozens of chocolate candies to insert in the center of round pretzels to add another dimension to the choir cookie tray I sang along to Christmas carols and smiled. This was fun to me and quite honestly it was making me feel that holiday spirit I was searching for yesterday. If this means I am over achieving I can see it, but it is not for the actual desire of achieving as much as it is finding my joyful sweet (ironic) spot that allows me to ride the holiday wave into the New Year.

 
My mind is racing with even more wonderful treat ideas, I still have homemade peanut butter cups to make and hot cocoa krispie treats to prepare and since I emptied the bowl of caramel corn into a package for the doctor's office, I can see another batch of that caramel goodness on the horizon as well. This elf has no time to waste today, there is cleaning to do and treats to make and somewhere in this day I must shower, make dinner and possibly wrap some presents. Maybe I am not so much an over achiever as I am someone who just likes to keep busy? That is something to think about as I toss on my Santa hat, turn on the Christmas tunes and get going.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are perfectly amazing...your family is so lucky to have you!