Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Making Other Plans


I have said it before and today proves the theory, "Life is what happens when you are making other plans." Last night I spent the night with my oldest daughter Ashleigh in her new apartment. We enjoyed a great visit and I was able to see Ashleigh's beautiful holiday decorations and spend some time relaxing with her.

 This morning I hit the road fairly early thinking of all the things I wanted to accomplish today. As I drew closer to home I realized this little red light that looks like a battery kept flashing at me and the words "battery not charging" flashed on my dash board. Since it is a delightfully invigorating 24 degrees Celsius I was worried I would be stranded on the side of the road frozen. It did not help that I had just passed a rest area (thinking I could make it home without stopping to use the ladies room) when the little red battery started flashing. All my plans for the day started to slowly meld into a pile of frustration.

 
Once off the expressway I felt like I was on the wings of an Angel as I drove along hitting every green light. My fear was that if I stopped, I might be stranded and a tow truck would be in my future. With just about twenty minutes left in my ride, I called home and let Mark know I was going to take the car right to where we normally go for car repairs and asked if he could pick me up. Once again I was worried we would be footing the bill for a tow truck and I hoped to avoid that issue completely.

 
I was able to make it to the repair shop and Mark came to pick me up. I was definitely fortunate that I made it all the way home. Once home I prepared to make cupcakes to take along to our Christmas with our Goddaughter and her family tomorrow. My thought was I would make the Malted Milk cupcakes today and frost them tomorrow. Well, apparently the recipe that I had pulled from an online recipe website had converted the European ratios incorrectly and I ended up adding two tablespoons of baking powder instead of two teaspoons. Let's just say that as I was putting the baking powder in, I knew it was too much, but did not bother to check another cookbook for accuracy. Needless to say I had a doughy mess on my hands when I pulled the pan from the oven. The upside is that although they looked terrible, Avery and I sampled the mess and discerned that once balanced with the right amount of baking soda, these cupcakes will be delicious!

 
I fully intend to play this day out to the end. This afternoon, I am going to do a little shopping with my family so the girls can use the gift cards they received for Christmas and then perhaps if I feel gutsy enough later tonight, I might take another shot at the Malted Milk cupcakes. As for my car, I am still waiting to hear, but the gentleman at the shop where I dropped the car off mentioned that it might be the alternator and then added, "If it is the alternator it will be pricey". Great, that is something to look forward to. Life is happening like crazy today and it is not playing out like I planned at all. I am just going to have to roll with it, what other choice do I have?
Last time I checked, cupcakes should rise in the middle,
 this mess was not part of my plan!

No comments: