Tuesday, December 6, 2011

GET OUT!


Is it possible that while June Cleaver (of the 50's show Leave it to Beaver) was smiling, waving good-bye and handing lunches to her family as they headed out the door in the morning, she was actually thinking "just GET OUT"? This morning as my lovely girls were both spinning through the house growling and snarping at anyone in their way that is what I was thinking. Why do we always end up in this place?

 
These young women are tired and cranky and when I have the audacity to suggest that they go to bed at an earlier time I am met with the copyrighted teen eye roll and sometimes even the comment "MOM, I am fine, NO ONE goes to bed this early!" To which I respond, "Tired people do." Early in the morning when they are running around grousing because they over slept or cannot find anything to wear I am trying to find a safe place to hide and biting my tongue till it bleeds, because a little extra sleep and a plan before bed about the next day's attire would make a huge difference in their following morning.

 
I of course know that I am merely the Mom and obviously not as wise as my teens, however just once I would like to pitch these two crab apples out and yell, "GET OUT!" The other part of this annoying issue is that while I am still stewing about the horrible morning, they are skipping back in the house in the afternoon holding hands and singing Kumbaya! When will I learn? Better yet, when will they?

 
I will of course be having a chat with these young ladies at dinner tonight. Perhaps just a verbal tune up about the importance of rest and that sibling bullying is just as hurtful as any other kind of bullying will set them on a calm path for the two weeks we have left before their holiday break. My emotions are living on the edge as it is right now and when my kitchen and dining room become a battle field in the morning I tend to feel battle fatigue the rest of the day.

 
My recipe for calm is that everyone needs a good night's rest and a better plan about what items we will wear and what items we need in order to head out the door. I remember the little sheet we made when the girls were young. They would cut pictures from magazines of things they needed to remember for school and then glue them to a sheet of paper that I would tape to the back door. It was a great quick reference for my children and it saved me from constantly nagging them. I doubt that I can get these crabby girls on board with making these posters now, but maybe we can problem solve a plan for peace and harmony.

Whatever form this plan takes it is best for all of us if it happens quickly. I have little patience left for the behavior I was exposed to this morning and since I am no June Cleaver, I can guarantee you I was not the least bit composed as my children went out the door. My advice to Avery as she ran out the door to the car this morning (where a very crabby Aly was waiting) was, "No matter what Aly says, say nothing!" I just did not want these two girls snarping back and forth when they were driving the dark slippery winter roads to school. I also do not want to be thinking "GET OUT" about my lovely children. All I want right now is a plan for the next two weeks. Is that too much to ask? Just go to bed, get some rest and wake up with a smooth transitional plan in place. This house will never be like the Cleaver's, but whose house ever is? I just do not want another morning at my front door thinking GET OUT!

No comments: