Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Vancouver, Canada Day 3

I made another attempt at finding a Mall yesterday. I looked at the maps they gave us at the hotel and I figured out where to go and I went. I do not need a thing, but I wanted to keep busy and see something of the city, so I got dressed and headed out on my adventure. Here are some things I have learned.

Vancouver is not a sunny place. Yesterday there was sun, but it is not common. I mentioned to Mark this morning that they must take a lot of vitamin D around here to keep their spirits up.

Vancouver is not a terribly friendly place. I am generally a chatty person that enjoys engaging in conversation with just about anybody. I found that this habit is not appreciated here. As I roamed the mall yesterday, I found it odd that the sales people rarely spoke to me. I also found the prices at the mall quite high. Between the price of food and the price of items at the mall, I have determined that either the people of Vancouver are quite wealthy or they are in deep debt.

Vancouver is larger than we had time to see. Since this is a work trip for Mark it was mostly, in the evenings that we would walk around near our hotel and check out the local flavor. It was fun to see a basic idea of the city, but I will be just as happy to get back to Seattle, on American soil, where I can call and text my family and friends and not have it cost a fortune.

Traveling for work is tough. It is not glamorous or fun. It is hard to be on the road in places you do not know. You are away from your family and friends with none of the luxuries that you enjoy at home. Being here is even more difficult because of the three hour time difference. I find myself waking up at 3:00 AM which is 6:00 AM at home. In the evenings, you are trying to relax and regroup and end up tired and ready to sleep way too early by the clock and not early enough according to your body.

Being with my husband and having this time with him is precious. This is not something that we will do again for a long time. He will be on the road for most of December, and I need to be home with my kids and pets. Perhaps in a few years if the chance comes up again I will join him, but for now I am happy that we had this chance to be together.

We are heading back to Seattle today and will remain there through Saturday. I hope the people of Seattle are at least friendlier and easy going. I am not sure I can take much more of the cold shoulder I have been getting here in Canada.

So that is pretty much what I have learned so far this week. All in all a great time with my husband and an OK time by myself. Just having the chance to not think about doing laundry or making sure someone gets thier homework done or the trash out, has been a nice vacation on its own. Having the added bonus of someone else preparing my meals has been a nice treat too. Over all, so far so good.

No comments: