Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Stuff and Nonsense


 

Here is the problem, I am so overwhelmed, and I cannot accomplish anything. I know that sounds crazy, but every where I look, I have something I need to do and I just do not want to do any of it. I worked on my basement this morning. I swept mopped and emptied the trash. I have done a couple of loads of laundry and I still need to clean my bathrooms and sweep and mop my upstairs. I also need to make my cranberry sauce and two pumpkin pies for Thanksgiving. I have to get moving, but I am stalled.

I had a call this morning from my aunt's senior living community. One of the aides there wanted me to know that my Aunt has refused her bath for the fourth week in a row. I talked with Auntie and told her she would have to have it tonight. This is crazy, why would you not want to take a bath? The other thing is that it is just once a week and someone helps her. This means that Auntie has not had a bath in a month. I cannot believe I have to be the bad guy once again and insist that she take her bath! I am past the point of caring if I make her mad, that ship has sailed. No matter what I do I seem to make her mad, so I have stopped worrying about it. Just get in the bloody tub and clean yourself up!

As far as my Mom's estate, it is still slogging along. My sister has been amazing at working her way through the maze that is there. We still need to have the house appraised, value the building that my Dad's business was in, figure out a bunch of tax stuff and the list goes on and on. I have come to the conclusion that Dad was living the life and not really caring about Mom's estate or her heirs at all. He felt entitled and he acted entitled. That would explain why he said a year ago this Friday, "I deserve to be happy don't I?" It is hard to believe that that was just a year ago. This year has flown by.

I am looking forward to Thanksgiving at home. I have a giant turkey and I am looking forward to making dinner and snacks and just enjoying the day with my family. No driving to Louisiana and no big family meeting. I am looking forward to my annual day after Thanksgiving shopping trip with my girlfriend, where we get up at the crack of dawn and shop until we drop with all of the other crazy people that do the same. I was sorry to miss that last year. Things will be our version of normal this year.

The dryer is done and it is calling to me to come and fold the clothes and the bathrooms will not clean themselves, so I best finish this up and get busy. I also have to squeeze in a trip to Sam's club and pick up the girls from school today, so I do not have time to dink around. Maybe I will put off the pie making and cranberries until tomorrow. That would take some of the pressure off. We'll see how things go. If nothing else I should probably shower since I am insisting on my Aunt taking one. No time to sit on my heels and wonder what to do next, I guess I will just jump in with both feet. Here goes…

No comments: