Thursday, November 11, 2010

The Early Hours



It is 5:30 AM and everyone is starting to stir this morning. Two children have to go to school and one husband has to go to work. One mom is up to write her blog and get everyone out the door without too much commotion. I like my house in the morning. I am rested and the house is quiet. I am able to think a little and enjoy a few short moments before everyone starts busting out of their rooms and invading the living room and kitchen.

 
I have always been a morning person. That is when I am usually at my best. Mornings feel refreshing and new, as if you have a brand new start, a do over if you will. A real bonus for me is the weekends when my alone time can be extended while my sleepyhead family sleeps in. I like the chance to gather my thoughts and center myself for the day ahead. I actually prefer to write when it is quiet around here. It is easier to think and even form my thoughts when I do not have people sharing stories or complaining about the cereal selection.

 
This morning I am enjoying the roar of a hair dryer and the sound of the shower running, while one of the dogs lays curled at my afghan covered feet. As the girls begin to interact, the dog looks at me like "here we go!" and I feel his pain. Our quiet is slowly dissipating and life is taking over. We are no longer in our quiet place. The other dog joins us and suddenly there is a battle for the best spot at my feet and morning has broken. We cannot pretend anymore, the day has started and we are part of it so let's get to it!

No comments: