Friday, November 12, 2010

Full Steam Ahead

Yesterday, I drove two hours to sign papers so that my Dad's boat could be sold. Today, I will drive an hour in the opposite direction to take steps to have my Aunts hearing checked. I am running back and forth trying to cover all of my bases before I head out of town with Mark on Sunday. My week has slipped through my fingers. Each day this week was less productive then I had hoped and I am now staring right down the gun at Sunday. I will now do a silent scream in my head!

There is no time to look back over my shoulder and recover the lost objectives for the week. I am going full steam ahead into Sunday. If there is a missed task or item it will just have to stay missing. Whatever the missing pieces are, when I climb on that plane on Sunday they will just be part of the cluttered landscape of things I wish I had done. I will have to forget about them and move on.

I have had a number of people tell me this week not to worry about my kids while I am gone. I have been advised to relax and enjoy my trip. I have been told that they are old enough to take care of themselves. I have also been told what great kids they are and how it is good for all of us to have this break. The thing is, I am not worried about my kids at all. I have never really been concerned when my children have stepped out into the world…well, except for when Ashleigh was in 8th grade and I would not let her go on the invitation only class trip to Chicago. That is a black mark on my parenting record. I was too protective. I also let Aly and Avery go on the same trip in their 8th grade year, so believe me this bad decision has been tossed in my face many times. I would like to publically apologize to Ashleigh one more time for my poor judgment.

Now that I am finished groveling, I should tell you that I intend to complete several more tasks (before I leave) to prepare my home for our lovely caregiver for the girls to arrive. My home will not be as clean or prepared as I had hoped, but the most important thing is that the girls are happy and excited that she is coming. They are also just as excited that they will have a car to use for the week. When I told them about the trip, Aly asked me "Does this mean we can drive the car to school?" and when I replied "Yep.", there was a lot of knuckle knocking and high fiving. A weaker mom might have been hurt, but not me (that's a lie). Why would I be hurt that the highlight for my kids is the car and not my being gone? Honestly, I am happy that Aly and Avery are confident and independent enough to survive without Mom. I am also just a little excited for them to have to keep up with all the little things that have to be done each day to keep our home running.

So, enjoy the car ladies, but get the dogs fed and out, the dishes cleaned, your laundry done, your homework done and keep my house tidy, because I am full steam ahead…outta here! Well, I am after I go see my Aunt and finish some last minute dog washing, house cleaning and food shopping.

No comments: