Thursday, November 18, 2010

Seattle Day 1 & ½

Rainy roads during three hour Vancouver to Seattle trip



Seattle Space Needle

 In the interest of time, I am going to combine today and tomorrow. Mark is planning to be done with work tomorrow so that we can spend the day together. I hope it actually works out. He has had so many problems with this project he is working on that he has spent a majority of his time working on that and this happens to cramp my hanging with my husband style. I cannot complain, because I am the tag along on this trip and I will take whatever time he offers up. However, if he is off tomorrow, I want all my time to be with him and not writing my blog…sorry folks.

 
Yesterday started early, we were on the road by 7:00 AM so that Mark could make one last stop at his Canadian site before we headed across the border to the USA. It rained all the way to Seattle. Once we got near his next location for work we stopped and had lunch and I opted out of joining him at his work site. I decided to have Mark drop me at a nearby Mall so that I could walk around and maybe sit somewhere and read my book. I just did not feel like sitting around where he was working. I was concerned about sticking out like a sore thumb and also having Mark worrying the whole time that I might be bored. By the way it continued to rain until later in the evening. It stopped just in time for us to roam around the area where we are staying.
Walking around Malls seems to be a theme with me throughout this trip. Perhaps it is because there is always a fair amount of shopping near tourist hotels. Plus it is more comfortable for me to step out on my own if I am heading toward a location where there are more people. Here in Seattle and in Vancouver there are a large amount of homeless and I feel somewhat uncomfortable when I am out on my own. Maybe if I lived in this area or spent more time on the road it would not bother me as much as it does. I truly do not believe that I am in danger; I just think it is mainly my own discomfort.
 I have been reading a book I picked up in Vancouver. This has made my time on my own easy and comfortable. It has been a long time since I have had time to sit and read and I am eating this up. I am also missing my girls. I think my being gone is good for all of us. I have wanted my girls to get an understanding of what they can handle without me around and this is a great opportunity for them. This will not change them needing there Mom around, but it will help them see that they know what they need to do every day without mom nagging them.
I struck out this morning to do a little Christmas shopping and to also have some lunch. I was the creepy lady eating alone. I had left my book behind at the hotel, so I found myself listening in on conversations I did not want to hear and trying hard not to stare at people inappropriately. I could not eat fast enough. I wanted to get the heck out of there and come back to the room so that I could write and read. Our hotel room here in Seattle is not as nice as the one in Vancouver, we have no kitchen, but we did luck out with a sitting area which is nice to have. It gives us a little more room to relax.

 
I have only two photos to share today. We borrowed Avery's camera for our trip since it was smaller than ours and it has been malfunctioning. Apparently it sucks down the batteries like they are water. I discovered this after I have lost out on some awesome photo opportunities this trip. One photo in particular was the skyline of Seattle all lit up as we headed downtown last night. You will just have to take my word for it that it was beautiful, because I got nothing.

 
My plan is to write again on Saturday as we prepare to fly home. We will be taking a flight that gets us back home about 11:30 PM. I am looking forward to getting back on my home town time, right now it is 5:00 PM at home and it is only 2:00 PM here. Every day seems like a day and half.

No comments: