Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Ho Ho Ho


Me at about two years old
I have started my Christmas shopping. I know to some it is early and to others it is late. For me, it is just about right. Last year because we were making plans to travel back and forth from New Orleans, my Christmas spirit was minimal at best. I was just happy I bought gifts and they made it under the tree. This year I want to enjoy the process of playing Santa.

 
A friend of mine used to have her gifts purchased and wrapped weeks before Christmas. I was always amazed at how she could possibly do that. I have always been burdened with thinking too much about what to get someone as a gift. I walk around the store waiting for something to jump out and call the person's name. Sometimes I am more prepared then that, sometimes I will see an ad that screams the person's name or if I am lucky enough they will be direct and tell me what they are hoping for. Recently, for our God daughter's birthday, I called and asked what she would like and she replied, "Surprise me; I always like what you give me". Talk about pressure, now I was on the hook for coming up with something fabulous "like I always do". The idea that I would be winging it made me a little nervous, but in the end my efforts were a success. When I asked her what she might like for Christmas guess what she relied? That's right "surprise me!"

 
I absolutely love giving gifts, I enjoy searching and finding just the right thing to wrap and place under the tree. I celebrate my successes and I am devastated by my failures. If someone is less than thrilled with my choice for them, I feel as if I let them down. There is nothing worse than opening a gift, filled with excitement, only to discover a gift dud.

 
I have been on the receiving end of the "dud". When I was a little girl "Santa" brought me a stocking full of coal. There is also the year (when I was much older) that my Mom thought it would be fun to give me a t-shirt that said "SHE, one who must be obeyed". I basically pulled her aside that day and shared with her how hurt I was and she just gaped at me like I was the problem. Actually, I have a lot of bad gift memories from my Mom. She was famous for deciding for you what you would like and it many times was something that was on the farthest end of your like meter. Perhaps that is why I worry so much about wrapping up just the right thing as a gift. It also explains my nervousness about shopping for our God daughter with no parameters.

 
I am excited and happy to have the Christmas shopping ball rolling. I think so far my gift decisions are good and the recipients will be happy too. There is no looking back at the past now it is full steam ahead into the present…the Christmas present that is!

No comments: