Friday, September 17, 2010

Day 5 Ride of Your Life


John Lennon said "Life is what happens when you are making other plans." I know this is true, because in the middle of me planning for my alone day today, everything hit the fan and now I sit here wondering how to scrape together some alone time. I was going to let my girls take my car to school today which would have left me stranded at home. I was actually very excited at that prospect, think about it "Oh, I'm sorry, I can't run to the store, I have no car today." Or "I would have done that, but I did not have a car". I would have been blissfully alone left to cleaning a little and watching an old movie and writing. It was not meant to be. Life happened instead.

 
There was a total female teen melt down here at 6:00 AM and I proclaimed that "Angry people are not allowed to drive my car!" Mark ended up driving the girls to school since they had to be there early for a Student Council meeting. Mark jokingly commented; "Why am I being punished?" Really, are you sure you want to go there? Now my personal day of self reflection and relaxation has become a time of cleaning and grocery list making, I think the punishment is being evenly distributed. Just when I was getting all excited about finding me and what my journey to find myself will look like, my children stomp into my dream "Not so fast Mom, if that's your real name!" "We are not through with you yet!"

 
So, perhaps I have to take my plans for the day and revamp them a little. I know that I am so entrenched in this Mom gig that it is hard to break off a slice for myself. I am far too willing to throw aside my plans to make things work better for my kids and now I am starting to resent it and there is no one to blame but myself. Perhaps the best thing I could do today is act like the car is not here and move forward with my day like I wanted to. I want some time to add a couple things to my dream board (yes, I actually have a couple things I will share tomorrow) and crazy as it sounds, I want to clean my bathroom and wash towels. After that I want to park my unshowered buttocks on the couch and watch an old movie. Grunge day at its best! I really do not care if there is nothing to eat in the house; no one cooperates by putting any food needs or wants on the list that is magnetically attached to the refrigerator. I am usually trying to perform some sort of mental telepathy game at the store to figure out what my family will eat or not eat anyway, and that was not on today's agenda.

 
Life is happening today, not the way that I planned, but the way it is meant to be. I am good with that, I also know the saying "If you have lemons make lemonade", or how about "Roll with the punches" or how about this new one I learned today …"Never allow someone to be your priority while allowing yourself to be their option" Today I am not going to be an option, today I am my own priority and I like the way that feels!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

First off I'm excited to hear about the new additions to the dream board...Second, everyone needs a grunge day. Car or no car today is your day...you don't even have to brush your hair if you don't want to!
-Ashleigh