Thursday, September 23, 2010

Day 10 Ride of Your Life


I spent yesterday visiting with my Aunt and calling her friends trying to pull together a little party for her 93rd birthday next Tuesday. She kept saying yesterday "I have had plenty of birthdays; I do not need to celebrate this one". I know my Great Aunt well enough now to know that she says one thing, but thinks another. She wants attention. If something does not happen on her birthday she will be sad. Perhaps it might even be that if she does not have an expectation she will not be disappointed. Regardless, I have told her Mark and I will be coming for dinner that night, but as a surprise I have also ordered a sheet cake to share with everyone at the senior living community. I have also made plans for some of her friends to join us and enjoy her favorite Arby's sandwiches. There will also be an Arby's Jamocha shake (her favorite) on her special day. I also made an appointment for her to have her hair and nails done at the salon that they have at the senior community. I hope that it will be a good day for her. Phew, that is done!

 
Tonight I will be mentoring once again at A Beautiful Me. I am enjoying my time there watching and learning their process for engaging the girls in dialogue and activities that support a healthy self image. My hope is that my own girls take away something from this workshop. While I love them and support them as best I can, my own self image has always been subpar, so I am certain that they can use all the help they can possibly get. Tonight's topic is "Words Can Hurt", and people will be sharing ways that they have been hurt by what others have said. I am in debate with myself about whether or not to share my horrible middle school story that involves my very bad acne and some very mean kids. Not a good mix and a very upsetting time of my life. This event has caused me huge self image issues for most of my life. One thing I know for sure is that words really do hurt and people will always believe the negative about themselves before they believe the positive. "Words can hurt" is a very good lesson to teach our young.

 
There will not be much dream chasing today. I do think I will try to find some pictures of what I would like my patio area outside my backdoor to look like though. I have envisioned that area becoming more of a haven for relaxation, but I am not quite sure how to get that started. If I can find some ideas I like, they might just make it to my dream board. Slow and steady wins the race they say, so since I am not in a race I am guessing that slow and steady builds a fabulous dream board!
A work without progress!

No comments: