Saturday, September 25, 2010

Day 12 Ride of Your Life

Yesterday was a meeting (code for breakfast) of one of my favorite groups, The Newsletter Mom's. We are a group of moms that were thrown together when our children were in middle school. The school asked for volunteers to help fold, stuff and mail the monthly newsletter and we all answered the call and the "Newsletter Mom's were born. Only a small portion of our group have children in the middle school now and the middle school stopped printing the newsletter over a year ago and went to an email format, yet we all still enjoy getting together. We are all different, yet we have a bond. We have cried, laughed and complained together. Our greatest function is support. We have been there for each other through many of life's highs and lows. I have no idea if this is ordinary, but to me it is extraordinary. How we all ended up together and friends is amazing to me.

Actually, the extraordinary is what makes life so amazing, the unexpected happenstances that collectively create a life. I wonder over the amazing twists and turns of my own life each day. Perhaps it is my age or maybe even just my personality that pushes me to squeeze every drop out of each and every day. I do not want to come to the end of my life knowing that I did not suit up for the game. I do not want to sit on the sidelines and watch everyone else get a basket or a touchdown. If there is a chance to take I want to take it, if I can drag Mark or my girls or a friend along I will. If there is an opportunity to fill my lungs with life I want in. The sidelines are no place for me anymore. My dream board is my palette and my life the canvas. There is no reason for me to put off living the life I want to live anymore. There will always be days when I do the ordinary things like laundry and cleaning. I will also be mothering for the rest of my life, but the border and the background of my life and who I am and also who I want to be is all up to me. I will not be ruled by fear or worry.

With one swift stroke of the laptop keys I have made my life's battle cry and I encourage you to join me. Take some time to think of one thing that you have wanted to do and put off for one reason or another and make a plan to do it. I know that as much as my family and friends love me, they cannot make my dreams and aspirations come true, this is my job. I have learned that my life is up to me. Which means your life is up to you too. You can watch your ship sail or you can jump on board for the "ride of your life".

No comments: