Thursday, October 31, 2013

Happy Past Scary Future?

Today is Halloween and cookie day. Cookie day is a tradition that the high school choir director started for the day after a choir concert. The kid’s work hard getting ready for the concert and on cookie day (the day after the concert) they all bring in cookies, talk about the concert and get ramped up on sugar. From time to time I have made cookies to send into the class. Since the fall choir concert was last night and today is Halloween, I decided to spend my afternoon yesterday making cookies. Here is where my mind went…this is my daughters last year of high school… “These moments will not happen again, I should make Halloween cookies for her to take to school and make her smile.” Makes sense right?

As I sat in the concert last night, I could not help but think about how each moment this year has a double meaning. While Avery is faced with many first and last moments this year, so am I. I am not only celebrating her growing up and moving on with her life I will be letting go of day to day mothering and learning to be who I am meant to be now. As mothers we throw everything into our children, we run at mothering full steam ahead. When we are young mothers, we have much to prove. We spend every moment, sewing costumes for Halloween, planning fun things for our families to do, household tasks, jobs, laundry, cooking and much more. We multi task so much that when it comes time to release some of these tasks it is traumatic, it feels like an ending.

The truth is it is really a beginning, the beginning of being ourselves, for ourselves. Who says I can’t make cookies next Halloween if I want to? Honestly, I have decided to stop looking at the endings and peek around the corner at the beginnings. I want to embrace what is ahead rather than clinging to what is behind. Reaching back only makes the future harder.

So today I am wearing a fun Halloween shirt and I am going to make a yummy pot of chili to share with my husband. Avery is going to a girlfriend’s house for the evening to trick or treat (I KNOW she is to old…you try telling her). Mark and I will have a taste of what our future Halloween’s might be like. We will also eat some of the Halloween cookies (It is our cookie day too) that I did not send to school and probably a couple of Halloween treats from our candy we have to give away to the trick or treaters.

There will be moments when I glance back at the past and remember some special moments for a second or two but I will not linger there, because when I look ahead I see an amazing future and it has my name on it!


Happy Halloween!

The Memory making begins!

You can't tell but I have wax paper over the newspaper,
I did not want you to think I was gross!
The word wicked is all in glitter
and I am spreading it ALL
over my house!

No comments: