Monday, October 7, 2013

Letting Go to Grow

I flew to Connecticut last Thursday to visit my oldest daughter who has just moved there for work. It was a great trip. My daughter loves her new home state and she was a wonderful tour guide, showing me the beauty of the area and all of the places that she has discovered in the last 12 weeks or so since she moved there. While I am happy she has found a place that she loves and she is happy, it was hard to let go of her when I hugged her goodbye at the airport.

It does not matter how often I release my children into the world, first play date, first day of school, first day of college and first time moving out of state for work, I worry about them. Will others realize how wonderful and valuable they are? Will they be treated with the love and care they deserve? Most of all I wonder if I will be less needed as they become part of the world and not just part of our home and family.

My view on my flight to Connecticut
Parenting is actually a catch and release program that allows us the ability to eventually share our treasured children with the world. This last weekend I learned that my oldest still needs my hugs and she still needs the loving affirmations that only a Mom can give. I also learned that this big world cannot take away the roots of a family and their love for each other. Lastly, I learned that as hard as it is, you have to let the children go and grow, in order for them to reap the full benefits of our hard work of parenting. It was hard to leave my daughter, but I left proud and assured that she will make it in this great big world.
My view on my flight home

No comments: