Thursday, October 17, 2013

Giving Away My Power

I have been obsessed lately with my neighbors. This obsession comes from the fact that they are really not neighborly at all and tend to be bullies. The husband of this bully family stopped my husband as he was mowing our yard recently and told him he was not allowed to mow around a berm we built between our two yards. He does not want us on “his property”. To be clear we are only on the property to mow around the berm to keep it tidy. We have not set up lawn chairs over there or sent our dogs to go potty over there. It has literally just been us mowing around the berm.

These neighbors lack the ability to approach people in a nice wayand let them know what is on their minds. There is always some verbal assault that happens, that gets you all ticked off and then they walk away, leaving you feeling like you have been attacked. My husband did not get all riled up after this recent assault, he just told the big bully to get a survey of his property and then went on his way. I on the other hand was not even present for this altercation and I am still up in arms over it.  

First of all, seriously…we are mowing the lawn. Second of all why the constant attacks? I was obsessing about the whole thing so much that I decided to call the neighbors on the other side of the bullies to see if it was just us. You guessed it; they are bullies to them too! What the heck? What is the matter with these people?

A few years ago there was an altercation with them that sent me hiding in my house most of the summer. I allowed their inability to interact with others to steal my joy and my personal power. I cowered inside, fought depression and basically let the bullies win. I obviously lost. After this recent event, I have found myself tumbling down that mountain again. My family is saying all the things you say to someone when you know they are bordering on crazy, but this is a fight I have to win on my own. I cannot give away my power to a bunch of bullies. It has gone on long enough.


My husband did the right thing, he did not react or fight back, he just said, you will have to get some facts and then come back and talk to me. Bam! I know that I need to let it go and let karma do its work. There are just people in the world that do not play well with others and unfortunately these neighbors are some of those people. I want my personal power to remain intact and the best way to make that happen is to move on. Easier said than done, but obsessing over these people will continue to give them control over me and that is just not okay. Today I resolve to release this and move on. I want to focus on things that really matter.

No comments: