Thursday, October 10, 2013

Conferences

Last night I went to Parent/Teacher conferences at my daughter’s high school. During conferences we are able to speak to the people that interact and influence our children when they are not with us during the day, hear about how they are doing and where they might need support. As I stood in line after line waiting to speak to each teacher I thought about how nice it would be to have conferences for other people in my life, like my husband or my friends.

Sometimes in our relationships we become set in a routine or rut and we lose focus on who people really are. We make assumptions about our relationships based on old feelings or interactions and we have a hard time letting those assumptions go. Perhaps if we had someone to conference with, we could open a new door in our relationships and see our loved ones in a new way or even support them through a rough spot. I would stand in line for that.


The Parent/Teacher conferences have helped me learn how my daughter is doing in school and I feel confident she will have a great year. Now I need to spend a little time listening more to my husband and others in my life. I do not have the luxury of a teacher to guide me, but if I ask questions and listen I may get all the information I need. 

No comments: