Friday, October 18, 2013

Organizing and Letting Go

Recently we have spent a lot of time and money redoing several things in our home that had gone untouched since we bought the home 17 years ago. We have always kept up with fresh paint and décor but some of the major work that was needed was just not on the list because we were raising three girls and money was limited. Now that we are perking up and fixing up, I am stumbling across items that I have kept for sentimental reasons and I have pulled out of drawers and closets, lots of “important” papers. Now I am faced with what to do with all of these things.

The papers seem like a no brainer, shred them and move on, but there are so many that I think a bonfire is in order. Then I find myself worrying that I will shred something important and will not realize it was important until I need it. AGH, it is not easy being in this brain of mine! The sentimental items are another story. I do not want to just drop them at Salvation Army or Purple Heart, some of these items were things my Mom saved and now I wonder “are these valuable”? These reasons for hanging onto things have trapped me in a pit of frustration.

I am tired of moving all of these things from one place to another and it is time to bite the bullet…but my brain stops me. My brain says things like “are you sure?” or “maybe keep it until spring and have a garage sale”. My favorite reason is that I am too overwhelmed with all the papers and then with dramatic attitude I shove them back into the drawer or closet they were in and pray I don’t die, because then my kids would be stuck figuring this all out and odds are good these same stupid papers or sentimental items would become monkeys on their backs too.

The madness must end with me. This hanging on to things issue is deep rooted and I need to break the cycle. Actually I might build a fire in my backyard today and toss a few papers in. It will help me feel like I have moved forward. As far as the sentimental items go, I may have to think about that some. Perhaps an antique store could tell me if I am hanging on to these things for no reason…hmmm, that’s not a bad idea.


It is nice to have things replaced and refreshed, but it is even better to dig the junk out and get rid of it. It is time to release the rest of the past that I have been harboring here including all the old insurance papers and the weird exercise/cellulite thingy that was my Grandma’s. I have moved these things from place to place long enough it is time to organize and let it all go!

No comments: