Thursday, May 31, 2012

If You Could Change Your Fate…Would YOU?

There are a lot of changes happening here at Casa Beadle, one daughter moving in and another preparing to move out to college and still another knee deep in high school and all the drama that goes along with it. Each is faced with new beginnings and the excitement that brings. Each one of these girls is also faced with making new choices for their lives and hoping that what they choose will be the age old answer to, who am I?
I enjoyed a chat with my youngest as she drove to school today. Avery has been in rehearsal for her role as a driver and what better way to motivate a young driver than to offer them a ride instead of taking the bus. The catch of course was that she had to drive us…clever, I know. Anyway, we were talking about fate and how important it is to not give up even if the odds seem dead set against you. My advice was to persist in being the voice of change. Sometimes it can be the quietest voice that is heard in the most deafening situations. The other thing is the fate that you see before you, could very well be the beginning of the journey and not necessarily the end. By persisting and having the faith that God has a plan for you and believing that you can define your destiny you keep your power instead of giving up and giving it away.
This giving away of power is how I have been living these last couple of years. I have allowed the drama and hurt of the estate issues of my parents to define who I am. I realized as I shared my “wisdom” (for lack of a better term) with Avery that I had given up on persistence and was being driven by my sadness and worry. I lost track of how I wanted to be defined and assumed this new role as martyr. As I drove home alone from the school I asked myself the same question that Avery and I had talked about “If you could change your fate would you?”
In the last few weeks I have noticed subtle nudges from God to get back on the right path for my life. I failed to really pay attention until this morning as I drove home alone after Avery dropped herself at school. I kept wondering to myself…if you could change your fate, would you? It sounds so parent like and sage, something that a good Mom would say to her child right? Yet, I was failing to listen to my own sage musings.
Amongst all the changes with both young and moderately older here at Casa Beadle, there are now, the beginnings of a change in me too. Perhaps somewhere in you there are rumblings of wonder? Maybe you have looked at your own path and wondered “Who am I?” and  also thought your path was at the end, but I can assure you that if you look hard enough and long enough you will see the tiny little sign that you missed early on that says “If you could change your fate, would you?”

No comments: