Thursday, May 10, 2012

Taking It Down a Notch


The good news is that after weeks of wondering, last night I learned that I am not going to be heading down to New Orleans…at least not until later in June. We shall see as the time approaches if that works out. Last night I spent the evening running to an office supply store to locate legal size paper, so that I could print off 11 pages of paperwork that needed to be signed and notarized and overnighted today. This is the payback for not having to go to New Orleans.

My sister told me on the phone how this was a cheaper and less stressful solution to actually being in New Orleans. After running for paper, bugging my friend who is a notary and watching as he prepared all the papers and found two witnesses, I wondered how much less stressful it was. I do admit that buying the legal paper and paying for an overnight package is way cheaper than a flight and a hotel stay, but the other side of that coin is I was kind of looking forward to some time away from all the impending Graduation party work and thinking. But in the end this takes all the other stress down a notch which is a blessing.

May is tough enough since my Mom died May 22 2009, my Dad Died May 3, 2010 and my Aunt Nina (even though I begged her not to) Died May 18, 1011. Finally when Aunt Nina starting failing I felt it important to at least ask her to hang on, but being a woman with determination and her own plans, she would have none of that. She decided it was time and that was that. I will forever remember those dates. It all seemed very surreal as it was playing out.

In time we all have trials we must face down. Recently I have heard things that have affected the lives of friends and friends of friends and I realize that we all have our burdens. No life is untouched by sadness and disappointment. In the end it is not the event that determines who you are, it is your reaction to the event. Facing down an adversity or trial is a true barometer to who you are and who you will become.

I think that many of us in the midst of our trials imagines that we are in the middle of the worst plight ever, only to hear later that others are facing far worse circumstances. I have had to remind myself many times that better people then me have been through way worse.

Today I will celebrate being able to take my stress down a notch. I will be happy that I am home with my family and friends. I will also be glad that I now have a giant package of legal size paper. Everyone should have some 8 ½ x 14 inch legal paper on hand, don’t you think? 
I will also remind myself that where I came from is not who I am. I will not be defined by the sadness. In the end my memories will be of the good times and the good people in my life…you all know who you are!

No comments: