Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Feels Like a Monday

Today is Tuesday. I tell you this because to me today is Monday. I cannot seem to wrap my head around the fact that we are already committed to the week. We have stepped into it no holds barred.
Yesterday was Memorial Day, the day when we American’s remember the fallen soldiers from our nation’s wars. Yesterday, as is our tradition in our small town our family went to the local cemetery to honor the fallen men and women with a short ceremony where local veterans and politicians speak with reverence about the fallen and the high school band plays patriotic songs while we sing along. It is a big small town gesture that always warms my heart. You see people you do not know and some that you do. You see people sitting along the road side with their coffee, clapping as the veteran’s march by in the short parade up to the cemetery. You also see those standing with a salute at the ready and some with flags and cheers. It is small town America at its best.
Memorial Day is also the official start of summer. Now we can pull out our summer whites which by all fashion standards has been said to be a big no-no until the summer kick off. We can eat endless amounts of watermelon and popsicles and barbeque to our hearts content. There is an all out race to get busy living the laid back summer life and it all just started yesterday…on a Monday.
My week is in full swing and I have not even had a full cup of coffee yet. I have Monday laundry to do and Tuesday cleaning to start. Normally I would be quietly reflecting here all alone in my deck sanctuary, but today Aly is home. Aly’s last day of high school was last Friday, so today, Tuesday (which really feels like Monday) she is preparing to go job hunting. My Aly will graduate next Sunday which is now only six days away and the prospect of her life ahead is exciting and daunting all in one.
There is much to do in the week ahead and regardless of what day it really is it must all be done. Holiday and memorials aside life goes forward and the summer is not going to slow for anyone. The best course of action is to get with the program and make this Monday/Tuesday combo day as productive as possible. Whether I like it or not this week is up and running and I best run along with it.

No comments: