Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Day 2 The Perfect Mom Project

Well, it is day two of my quest to understand motherhood. Yesterday seemed to be going well. I took my middle daughter Aly to get a cell phone. She is in the 10th grade and I was concerned that she was on the edge of becoming a social pariah because she did not have a phone. I have been told and I quote
"No one emails or talks on the phone anymore Mom, they only Facebook or text."

Since Aly did not have a phone she was somewhat limited in how she was contacted by her friends. I guess you could say she was out of the loop. We ended up spending a lot more time at the phone store then I wanted too, mainly because I could not decide what type of phone to get. I gave Aly my phone and changed the number, and I was going to up grade to a new phone. What a giant pain! I was roaming from phone to phone and by the end I picked one phone and as the very patient salesman was walking towards me, I changed my mind and ended up bringing home a phone I would like to throw out the window. I suddenly became this crazed woman, snapping at my kids and calling my husband to tell him how much I hate this phone. I am not thinking that this is how a "good" mom behaves. I was really not feeling good about myself. First because I can not make a decision, which my daughter kindly pointed out she can not do either and it is my fault and second, because I was taking everyone hostage in my frustration.

Later in the evening I had said good night to my kids and was relaxing in bed playing a game on my DS and my youngest daughter Avery came in and wanted to show me her folder for school. Being tired and spent from the day I was not very interested and told her that I was playing my game. She ever so nicely said to me
"Thanks Mom, I am glad you care so much. I see where I stand."

Oh the drama!! I felt like yelling that Moms are not always on call and that I had already said goodnight, so that meant her day was up. I really do not think that would have been the right thing to say. Maybe just knowing that I should not say that makes me a good Mom? HHHMMM something to think about. Today is another day and another chance to be...The Perfect Mom!

No comments: