Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Water Dampens the Home Fires

Yesterday I shared how I was on my own this week to take care of our hearth and home. I was all puffed up about how I can handle it and it is no big deal, I’m just taking one for the team. This morning I have to report that it sounded good in theory but it was tough to put in practice. As soon as I threw “I am woman hear me roar” into the universe, I was met with a challenge.  

As I was preparing to run errands yesterday I ran into my husband’s home office to see what type of print cartridges I needed to buy for our printer. (SIDE NOTE: I buy these printer cartridges all the time and every time I have to go check to see what I need. I annoy myself!) I ran into the office looked at the model number and ran out and as I was sprinting up the stairs I realized that my socks were wet. Isn’t that fun, when you are all set to head in one direction and life stops you dead in your tracks! I was standing on the stairs trying to figure out why my socks were wet and decided grudgingly that I should head back down the stairs and find the wet spot…AGH!

Down the stairs I went looking for the reason for my wet socks and I found it. Water had seeped under the office wall from the furnace room and basically turned my husband’s office into a swimming pool (exaggeration due to frustration!). I tried using our old shop Vac to clean up the water, but because I am always an I LOVE LUCY episode the hose kept dropping out of the vacuum. I decided to unplug the humidifier on the furnace and prayed that would ease the water issue. The crappy vacuum headed to the trash and I just kept feeling like I was being mocked for acting like keeping the home fires burning was no big deal.

This morning I decided that I needed a trained professional to come in and back me up. I have never repaired a furnace nor do I even want to begin to diagnose what is causing us to have the beginnings of a wading pool in our basement, that job belongs to a highly skilled professional not Lucy. I can do a lot of things but messing around with a furnace is not a good idea…AT ALL! I have called our furnace company which I should have done yesterday and they will be here tomorrow…they would have come today but I have a busy afternoon and cannot be stuck here waiting for the furnace repair company. Yeah I know, priorities, however keep in mind it is the holidays and every minute counts right now!

Basically, my womanly roar is more like a meow. I act like I have it all under control, but the truth is I am always doing the fake it until you get it thing, with the focus on the fake it part. This time tomorrow I hope that our furnace mystery is solved, easily and inexpensively. My puffed up demeanor is more subdued now. For fun I looked up quotes to remind me how life works and I will share them with you today.




This was just in case I forgot that I am just a cog in this wheel of life and that I can think and plan whatever I want, but in the end God is running the show. Have a good day and stay dry!

No comments: