Friday, December 13, 2013

Tis the Season

There is no doubt it is the holidays. What little time you think you have to be ready to celebrate with family and friends begins to feel a bit like a Christmas ribbon noose, tightening as each day passes until you are gasping for one moment of free time which you promptly fill with something else that has to be done.

I have given up trying to be “ready” for the holidays. I bought Christmas cards that I probably will not send and I proclaimed this morning that “I am not making cookies!” I just end up eating them and I just don’t want to do that or have that stress. We have plenty of goodies here no one will starve or pass out from a lack of sugar. The holidays are coming whether I am ready or not, so I would rather just take it down a notch or two.

The song goes “Tis the season to be Jolly falalalalala”, and that is what I want to be. I don’t want to be bloated from too many cookies or overwhelmed by a “have to” annual agenda this year. I am giving everyone fair warning that if you are expecting the usual you will be disappointed. I am not Scrooge and I am not giving up on traditions, I am just slowing down the pace enough so that I can be jolly, after all tis the season right?

The trick will be that I actually follow through with this plan. There is always a chance at the last minute the desire for a homemade cookie or my guilt over not sending cards kicks in and falalalala turns into FLAAAAAAA as I become a high speed blender of activity trying to make up for my non stress plan. All I know is that on December 26th, non of this will matter for another 365 days so whatever happens I know that in a week and a half the season will be over and life’s pace will even out.


Awww, now I’m a little sad and feeling like I need a Christmas cookie and I should probably send out a card or two to loved ones that are out of state…FALALALALA (ribbon tightening… feeling the holiday noose…) and so it begins, tis the season! 

No comments: