Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Knowing who I Am

Have you ever had a conversation with someone and they start telling you about "the you" they see and know? They tell you about the gifts or talents that you have or things that you do that they admire and you find yourself scratching your head wondering who they think they are talking to. It's a surreal moment to have your everyday self called out. You had no idea you were even admirable and here someone is telling you that you are.

Last month a friend had asked me to write a short inspirational article for her non-profit newsletter. I of course was honored, but wondered, why me? I do not see myself as a real writer, I play around with writing and I blog my heart each day, but a writer that people would "officially" be reading I was not sure that it was going to work out but I accepted the challenge and wrote something to share.

Twice this week on two different occasions, I have been approached by people that I did not know well, telling me that they had read my piece in the newsletter and truly enjoyed it. The first person that approached was a little surprised when as she spoke to me and my eyes welled up with tears and I became choked up. I truly was not expecting the response I had received and it caught me off guard. I know a lot of things about myself, but I did not know that outside of my little blog here, there might be people who would read and enjoy something that I wrote.

Now I am being forced to reevaluate myself. Maybe the tapes I play in my head about who I am are not accurate and up to date. Perhaps the things I have told myself are not possible for me or that I should not try, are actually possible. All of this because one person looked at me differently then I looked at myself and had faith in me.

I am now faced with the chance to try something new and work on writing for something besides just for me (and you of course). This has me wondering if I am the only one with talents hidden away that others can see we have, but we deny. Is it possible that through someone else's belief in us we can get to know who we are? I know I have spent a lot of time listening to the negative voices and believing them. Having the chance to believe the positive voices is new and I have to be honest, I like it!

Today would be a good day to turn your head away from the voices that are saying "you can't" and lean into the possibility of "you can". It was a great feeling being looked at in a new and different way and I am certain that this one moment is creating an even better me than I thought I could be. The next time someone shares with you their admiration and belief in you, I recommend you shove those negative thoughts out and rival in the feeling of self love and belief. It really does feel good!

No comments: