Friday, February 15, 2013

Celebration Vacation

Ahhhhhhh…at last the celebrating has come to an end. Mardi Gras and Valentines in the same week is just too much! I am ready to relax and not think or stress about anything extra in my life. I love the celebrating, but I also love the quiet days with the usual stuff like cleaning, cooking, errands and just regular old life. I am going to enjoy every unplanned moment.

There are more festivities ahead too, there is a surprise weekend for a friend's 50th birthday and St Patrick's Day and Easter, next thing you know there will be Memorial Day, then 4th of July, Labor day and in no time at all we will be staring down the barrel of Christmas again. Don't get me wrong, I am not in favor of rushing this year along, but when I put these holidays and celebrations on paper it reminds me how full life can be.

Having a little time to just be with no planning or agenda is like a mental cleanse. My mind moves swiftly when it is in planning mode, searching my brain for all the ideas and traditions for each holiday or celebration. When the pressure is off my mind wonders and thinking is easier. No regimented days, no detailed list of things to accomplish, just flat out ordinary unencumbered life.

My plan for today is to keep it simple. Fold some towels, run a couple of errands and make a simple dinner. Life as usual or as usual as it gets here, the Chief cook and bottle washer has a bad habit of forgetting how to relax and enjoy a few quiet moments. I am going to do my very best to just focus on a slow and quiet day…well I will after I go for a walk with my girlfriend and then take the dogs for a walk, do a small load of laundry and then run some errands, vacuum and make dinner. Oh boy, I might not be celebrating, but life is still just as busy and planned. I guess it is better than the alternative!!

No comments: