Thursday, February 7, 2013

Clenched Teeth

I have noticed in the last week or so that I am clenching my teeth. Honestly this seems like no big deal in the big picture of things that could be wrong, I have faced down much worse. The big question is why? I am going about my normal life (or as normal as my life can be) and I realize that my top teeth and bottom teeth are compacted together. Each time I catch myself in this tooth vice, I find myself thinking "Why are my teeth clenched?"

I think I know. I have been keeping a piece of my life tucked away because honestly right now there is nothing about this issue I can change or at least I think so. I have kept this concern in a bundle tight in my brain. Sometimes I yank it out and share it with friends or my husband. We will talk about it, I stew about my frustration and sometimes even wave my arms in exasperation and then shove it back into my head, where it slowly works its way down into my jaw when I am not paying attention.

The one thing that I have not done with this stress inducing issue is give it to God. I apparently think that I will handle this best and that no help is required. The trouble with that thinking is that I could have a very new profile once my teeth morph into a mangle of teeth, odds are good at this rate there will soon be no definition between top or bottom teeth at all.

Why do I always think that I have a better handle on things if I store them in my head and bandy them about with my family and my friends? Obviously this plan does not seem to work, yet time and time again I push God aside and say "I've got this!" My desire to solve my frustration and hurts without Gods support always brings me back to this moment when I realize my plan is not working. Once again I stand here shaking my head over my lack of trust in my own faith and God's love and support.

The answer to my question "Why are my teeth clenched?" is that I have to let go of what I am holding on to. I must remove it and gently place it in God's hands. I have learned this lesson before and I suspect that it will be a lifelong continuous lesson where I hold on tight and God gently taps me on the shoulder and says "Unclench your teeth and release your troubles to me… I've got this."

No comments: