Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Memorial


Aunt Nina last year celebrating her 93rd birthday

Tomorrow afternoon is the memorial luncheon I have been planning for my Aunt Nina. Tomorrow would have been Aunt Nina's 94th birthday. I thought it would be nice to gather her friends and remember her on her special day. We will meet at her favorite restaurant and have lunch and cake and hopefully share time together remembering my Aunt and how she touched each of our lives. Once the luncheon is over the lion's share of the estate issues hopefully will be behind me. It is hard to know what else might come up, but for now I like to think things are settling down.

 
There will be about 20 of us enjoying lunch and time together. It will be interesting to talk with my Aunt's friends and perhaps catch a glimpse of what my Aunt was like with the other people in her life. I have received phone calls and letters telling me how much my Aunt's friendship and bridge playing meant to some and also how much her support during difficult times helped others. This lunch would make my Aunt happy, she loved special attention and she enjoyed spending time with her friends. My Aunt also enjoyed her sweets, so the cake will be the final tribute to her 93 & 1/2 years she spent with all of us.

 
Today is Mark's birthday. For the last few years we have rushed around trying to enjoy his birthday and prepare for Aunt Nina's birthday the next, we just never wanted her to feel forgotten. This year will be the last of the rushing around, next year our focus will be Mark's birthday and perhaps a short few moments of memorial the next day for my Aunt. We will always have her in our hearts and minds and with her birthday so close to Mark's, it will be very hard to ever forget her special day. So honestly, she will never be forgotten.

 
It is hard to believe that in less than two years, I lost three major players in my life. It is amazing how quickly life can take a turn. In no time at all I went from daughter and great-niece to executor. This makes me want to grab hold of every moment and wring every last memory out of it. Tomorrow will be a great tribute to my aunt, there will probably be a few tears and some great stories shared, but what I look forward to the most is the healing that comes from time with friends and their memories.

No comments: