Thursday, September 15, 2011

The Golden Nugget

I found a golden nugget yesterday. I cannot make a ring out of it and I cannot sell it for cash, but it is priceless. What I found was some wisdom and I would be crazy to not keep this wisdom.

You see throughout my whole life I have found golden nuggets of wisdom and right now I have a sizable collection. Even with the wisdom that I have I still make terrible mistakes and say things that I wish I had not. That is why each little nugget of insight or self reflection helps me to become the person I would like to be.

Recently I have watched as one of my children has struggled with troubles in her life and as I watched her make her way through those troubles I knew she was gathering golden nuggets too. The hardest part about gathering golden nuggets is that no one can hand them to you; you have to find them on your own. The golden nuggets that you are handed from friends and family usually do not have the right weight or consistency as the nuggets you lift from your own path. It is hard to watch someone you love struggle. It is even harder to know that you could somehow make things easier with your nuggets, but your own nuggets are not what they need.

I will forever have the nuggets of wisdom that I gathered on my own, no one can take them away from me. These are mine to do with as I wish. I have many golden nuggets that I turn over and over and think about everyday and others that sit as reminders. Some of my nuggets have sharp edges and poke me sometimes, while other nuggets have smooth edges from me returning to them and looking them over and rubbing them with my mind. My very fondest golden nuggets remain available at the top of the pile where I use their wisdoms everyday to say "I'm sorry" or "I made a mistake". There are even those times when some of my fondest nuggets help me realize how lucky I am to know what my wisdom is and continue to use it.

I found a golden nugget yesterday. The nugget is mine to keep and I am wiser for having it. My hope is that today you find nuggets of your own and keep them safe, because you just never know when you might need them.

No comments: