Thursday, August 9, 2012

ROAD TRIP!

Tomorrow morning we are hitting the road. As is our travel tradition, we will leave very early in the morning and start heading towards New York state. We will be heading to Rochester, New York for our annual visit with our friends that live there. This has become a highlight to our summer and I am excited. I am looking forward to the road trip, the visiting and the relaxing with friends.
We always drive through Canada to get to Rochester, New York. This is a great way to shorten the distance we have to travel and see Niagara Falls. I look forward to our Niagara Falls drive-by every year. Sadly unless you want to pay $20.00 to park nearby, you are stuck driving slowly down the road gawking out the window.
One year we left on our trip a day early and stayed in Niagara Falls, Canada. This seemed like a fabulous idea since the hotel had a giant water park in it. Our girls had a great time, but I felt like I was stuck in a tourist trap that had a giant money sucker attached. That trip was one of those that had a “glad I went, but I will never go back” lessons attached to it. Needless to say the tradition of driving by the falls began and remains in place to this day.
Normally when we head out of town to visit, I have snacks and food packed to take along as well as special treats for our hosts. This week I have not been on my game and will have to make up for my lack of preparedness with my sparkling personality! I know our friends will not mind that I am empty handed when I arrive, but it still makes me feel bad.
I have to say that I am really struggling with being on top of things lately. I guess my brain is just full and I am going to have to be patient. Once Aly is safely placed at college next weekend, I will have much more open brain space to work with, but in the mean time the rest of the world will have to put up with my less than perfect planning skills. There is also the chance that I am just over being prepared all the time and I have subconsciously joined the people who fly by the seat of their pants.
So, off we go to New York at 5:00 AM tomorrow morning, unprepared, but happy and excited to be going. Our hostess has emailed me to let me know that she is not prepared either, so I am feeling a little better about my lapse in preparation skills. It must be something that is striking busy Mom’s all over the country. Tomorrow, summer gets a little bit better!

No comments: