Friday, August 24, 2012

Operation Tire Retread

I am in transition. My maternal job is slowing down and I am starting to feel a little like you do when you are pedaling a bike so slow that you tip over. I am trying to keep my balance but the honest truth is that we all know it’s time for me to try some new things and reinvent this mothering wheel before it tips over or goes flat.
In the last few weeks I have started working towards Operation Tire Retread. I have signed on as a poll worker for the elections. I have been offered the opportunity to assist a friend with a weekend conference she is working on and yesterday I interviewed for a job as a replenishment worker at a local craft store. This job has many things good about it that make it just right for right now. Its early morning and done by ten or eleven in the morning no more than three days a week but mostly one day. I am responsible to unpack boxes and stock shelves and occasionally help a customer with a question if I cross paths with one. I like the idea of this not being a job I will have to be stressed about. It’s putting stuff where it goes which I do at home all the time. How bad can it be?
Of course there will be the interaction with new people which is always fun for me and the chance to make a new friend or acquaintance which I consider a plus but mainly it seems like a job with limited hours and limited stress. This job gets me out of the house and keeps me from obsessing too much about my maternal bike slowing and me falling off. Basically I am trying to retrain my focus in a new direction. It does not hurt that I will be making a little cash too. This job is not going to get me on the cover of Forbes or Fortune 500 but it will give me a little bit of cash to perhaps pay off some college debt or buy a cute pair of random shoes just because I want them.
Over all I do not want to reinvent the maternal wheel just retread it a little. I need to shake it up over here and keep my bike up and running and the best way to do that is try something new so that is what I am going to do. So let the transitions begin!

No comments: