Thursday, July 26, 2012

Rain Day

It is no secret that I love my snow days. Each winter you will find me doing all things necessary to provoke a snow day. According to my kids who are smarter than me about most things (just ask them), if you wear your pajama’s inside out, put a spoon under your pillow and flush an ice cube down the toilet you are upping your shot at a snow day. This whole process seems ridiculous, but at the time if you suddenly receive a snow day, you are certain you have powers beyond belief. I am willing to attempt this ridiculous process because I love the cozy fire, book reading and movie that will happen on these random and glorious days. Nothing is expected of you because naturally everything is much too treacherous to attempt when there is snow.
Today is a rain day. It has been raining since about 1:00 AM and it does not look like it will let up anytime soon. The standards for a rain day are different. No one is directing you on how to go about provoking one and the rain generally comes about during a season when you would like to be out and about, for example like today. If I could pick I would prefer the early morning drenching shower that replenishes the plants and grass but does not ruin the summer time activates. For some reason I am less excited about being stuck at home then I would be in winter and find myself feeling trapped.
Some of these feelings probably come from the fact that I am not a big rain fan. I do not like the feeling of being a soggy mess when I am out and about. When it is snowing it does not saturate through your coat as you run from your car to your destination. Snow also seems quieter, once snow blankets the ground it seems to bring a hush to nature and it invites rest and relaxation. Rain rushes in hammers down, lights up the sky and thunder claps loudly around without any consideration at all.
I should at least put in a kind word for the gentle rain that brings contemplative thought. An evening rain or early morning rain that sets you back a little but calms you at the same time. The upside to the giant stomping thunder and lightning this morning was that it gave me an excuse to sit on my rear end and skip my work out. It was the perfect rainy day thing to do. I considered alternative possibilities and found myself completely not interested. The fact that it was storming helped me think up the excuse that I might be electrocuted since my treadmill is by a window...I know you are jealous of how quick thinking I am. I seriously had to protect myself from…ahem…harm.
On the agenda for today is…finishing a book that I have been dragging around with me long enough, vacuuming (another super fun rain activity) a little grocery shopping and perhaps some time with my girls if they ever get up. Rain apparently makes teenagers very tired. It is not a snow day, but those are special and they are best left alone.

No comments: