Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Unexpected Words from the Heart

In your life you find there are times that an unexpected word of kindness or encouragement can change your entire day, week or month. Depending on who shares the words and when, the words can make all the difference in how you carry yourself or even in how you think of yourself.
On Sunday at Mark’s parents 50th anniversary party Mark’s Aunt stopped me to chat. She began talking to me and asking how I was and suddenly she started saying this “I want you to know you are a good person and a hard worker, you are loved and appreciated and you need to believe in yourself.” Then as I stood there choking back tears she said “You are too hard on yourself and you do not give yourself a break.” and as if this whole thing was not surprising enough she added “I am not sure why I am saying these things to you, but you must have had to hear this”.
Mark’s Aunt is a strong Christian woman, while she and I are both faithful people, we show it in different ways. I am not a loud evangelist, I keep my faith quietly in my heart and try to live my faith rather than preach it. His Aunt is more forth right about her faith and while she does not hammer on others for not believing as she does, there is always an unspoken respect we all have for her “God will provide” attitude. This attitude and her love for family have been something I truly admire. As she spoke to me that day I honestly felt she was delivering a message meant just for me.
I found myself unable to stop the tears from pouring down my face as the reality of what Mark’s Aunt was saying sunk in. While some may think this crazy, I honestly felt that her words were as unexpected to her as they were to me and that they were a message from the heart. I am also comfortable believing that they were words that came from heaven to be laid on my heart as a reminder that I am loved and surrounded by love even when I cannot feel it here on earth.
This goes hand in hand with the most recent rash of compliments from strangers that help me believe that perhaps there are angels hoping to bring back my faith in myself. Regardless of how or why my heart was touched. I am also more aware that a simple unexpected word of kindness is all it takes to restore faith and hope. I hope you too will keep yourself alert for the message when it comes, because sometimes it is just unexpected words from the heart.

No comments: