Monday, July 16, 2012

50th Anniversary

Yesterday we celebrated Mark’s parent’s 50th wedding anniversary. This event puts life into perspective. Think about it, you like someone, you date them and you marry them and then you spend more time with them then you spend with anyone else in your life time. You have to have the ability to over look a lot of things and work through many more in order to last at least one year with a partner, let alone fifty years.
As I stood back and watched all the grandchildren talking and laughing together, I realized that these fifty years that Mark’s parents invested in each other was also a gift to all of their children. By staying together and walking the hard road they were able be an example to the rest of us of what is important in life.
Sometimes it is easy to get caught up in what is considered fair and look for the slights, but in the end we are all just out here trying to do what we can to make it to the pearly gates without too many blemishes on our record to explain. I know that Mark and I drive our kids crazy with our petty disputes and unreasonable expectations and frustrations with each other, but in the end we are always back on track and ready for the next go round. That’s life, you just make it work and no matter what, you have to be able to look at yourself in the mirror and say “I did the best I could today”.
After fifty years I would say that my in-laws have their doctorate in relationships and while each of us lives out our relationships in our own way, they have something to offer us in being aware of the value of staying together if possible. Since I am on my second marriage I can say that I understand when things do not work, but I also realize after putting twenty years into my relationship with Mark that a good marriage takes two good people with good hearts and the desire to live life with each other even when it’s hard.
So here is to two good people with good hearts that have fought the good fight and won fifty years with their best friend. You just never know when you step into life how the story will end, but the fact that you gave it your all and did not walk away when it was hard makes you both hero’s. It was a good day yesterday and I was truly honored to be a part of their special day.

No comments: