Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Free Therapy

I like free stuff. I like when you come across something free unexpectedly like a sample of yummy food at a store, or a random item like the antique chest that I picked up off someone’s front lawn last summer. I am almost positive they were giving it away. There were a lot of other items out there including books, we knocked on the door and no one answered, so we claimed the antique chest as our own. I like to tell myself when I use the chest that it was there for me to take for free, it is much better than thinking about the possibility that I stole it, anyway I like when thing are free, I think you get the picture.
This morning I received some free therapy from my friend Pam. We were walking which we usually do on Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings at 6:30 AM. This walking thing is great, it started about 15 years ago when my friend Shelly and I put on our walking shoes and off we went. Our friend Pam joined us about 6 years ago or so and if it was not for a bum foot Shelly would still be out there with us…anyway, a lot of therapy has happened in those years. Good advice, from good friends and it is FREE. This morning I was explaining to Pam how it has been hard to get back to my writing. For years the writing has poured out of me daily with no problem and now suddenly I am constantly struggling to write…this is when I received my free therapy.
Pam said to me “Haven’t you always used your writing as a therapy? Maybe you do not need to work as much out anymore? All I could say was “WOW Pam that is very true.” Free words of wisdom, I love that! I just saved myself at least $75.00 and an hour of therapy time or to be fair Pam saved me.
I have been beating myself up for suddenly being uninteresting (perhaps I never have been interesting) and I have been feeling like I have lost my writing mojo. If I listen to the sage advice of my friend, perhaps I can look at this as an opportunity to write for fun and not just to use all of you as my therapists. Hmmm novel idea don’t you think? So today I am cutting myself some slack. I am going to relax about my writing a little. I am still going to try to write something every day, because I think it is good practice but you might not hear from me one day and find a random recipe the next…according to my friend Pam “I appreciate a good recipe once in a while” and so do I.
Free is always good, and since my writing comes to you free you are lucky too. All my wisdom and humor delivered to you each day…WOW! This is where my generosity ends though, I am keeping my antique chest and enjoying my random food samples, you will have to find other free things all on your own. I should tell you though if something good comes up for free I will let you know!

No comments: