Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Fire and Fun

I am tired of the same old routine; I have been looking for new dinner ideas and ways to entertain ourselves this summer without breaking the bank since we came close to breaking it with Aly’s graduation party.
My meal plan for dinner last night was simple…cook over the open fire in our backyard (like we used to do in our camping days). I had it all figured out that we would make sandwiches in the little Hobo pie makers. The sandwiches are fun and easy and they are also very tasty. These sandwiches are like mini Muffalatta’s a famous New Orleans sandwich.
Here is what you need:
Salami (I buy the low fat salami…stop laughing, I realize salami is basically all FAT, but it makes me feel better!)
Ham
Small burger or Sub buns
Provolone cheese
Olive Tapenade… (I used olive bruschetta that I bought at the store because I did not want to make the tapenade)
Slap it all in the bun, spray the pie maker with non stick spray and squeeze the packed bun inside and clamp it shut. Now stick your pie maker over the fire and turn often so you have a grilled yummy sandwich and not a burned one.
Since I am always trying to find new ways to have fun, I cut up some fresh Mozzarella cheese and sliced tomatoes too. I then clipped some basil from my basil plants on my deck (Don’t I sound all chef like?) and chopped it up. I also brought along to the fire some balsamic vinaigrette and made myself a yummy Caprice grilled sandwich by tossing all the ingredients into the bun and grilling it. MMMMMMmmmm GOOD!
Once the mayhem of trying to make sandwiches for six people with two pie makers was over we were all happy and roasted marshmallows to celebrate how fun we are. Then everyone scattered and I contemplated life for several hours by the fire.
Since I was too lazy to wash the fire smell off last night I am writing this morning on my patio with the breeze reminding me every so often that I smell like Smokey the Bear. I think our routine was successfully broken and the family now has more things to laugh at me about since I managed to end up with hot marshmallow dripping down the side of my face. It was quite funny… who doesn’t like a large crowd laughing and pointing at them when they are embarrassing themselves, what fun! Hey it was fun and penny saving too, a big win for Mom if you ask me.

No comments: