Friday, November 15, 2013

Hunger

Hun·ger
 noun \ˈhəŋ-gər\
: a very great need for food : a severe lack of food
: an uncomfortable feeling in your stomach that is caused by the need for food
: a strong desire : a strong desire for something or to do something
-Merriam-Webster.com

Hunger has been on my mind lately. I am currently taking a medication for this lingering illness, which causes a loss of appetite and sleeplessness. I am experiencing both. Fun stuff? No, but it has me thinking so that’s a good thing, considering I have lacked ambition for the last three weeks. A n y way

I find it interesting that I suddenly can eat very little and not be starving for more food. I am also curious what happens in my brain that normally pushes me to want to eat more than I really need to. I no longer have that hungry feeling. On the other hand I am waking up at 3:30/4:00 AM bright eyed and frustrated with a strong desire (or “hunger” if you will) to continue sleeping even though my body does not want to. I find it interesting that the word hunger can mean lack of something and a lust for something. I am lacking food, but I am lusting for rest, all in the name of a hunger.

Perhaps you hunger for something. Maybe you have a great need or desire that is causing you to have an uncomfortable feeling. We never know when these feelings of hunger will hit or why. They are just there and we do our best to make our way through them at the time. Whatever it is you hunger for whether it is rest or food or love, there is only one person that can feed the hunger or desire and that is you.


While I am taking this medication I will continue to battle these inconvenient side effects, but I will not let them get me down, this is temporary. So many other hungers cannot be so easily dismissed and I am fortunate. For you, this may not be the case. I encourage you to feed your need and desire, care for yourself and love yourself today. The holidays are barreling towards us and this is when we all tend to put others first and lose touch with our own hungers. Remember to feed yourself; you cannot be what others need if you are not caring for you. 

No comments: