Thursday, April 12, 2012

Headaches and Decisions

I have spent most of this morning trying to make my headache go away. Here it is a beautiful sunny day, (the kind of day that you get many things accomplished with a skip in your step) and I am barely moving. I keep thinking of all the things I need to do and getting aggravated, which only makes the headache worse. Something about tensing up when you have a headache seems to make the headache even more pronounced. I have nothing to offer today in the way of insight or light hearted story telling because it requires thinking and concentration and neither of those things is easy to do right now.

I should tell you that our trip to Rochester, New York has been cancelled, which in light of my headache is a good thing. Aly and I had a long, hard conversation last night about college. It seems there were many doubts on both our parts about a number of issues. In the end the decision was made to take the offer from an in state college. This means that her after college debt will be much lower and her ability to come home when she needs to or wants to will be much easier.

Aly wants to fly, she wants to be on her own and she felt like the farther she went the better. I cannot blame her. She is worn out from all the high school drama and she is ready to step out and define herself in a new way. Her concern was that if she stayed in-state she would still be trapped reliving her high school years and never move forward into her life the way she envisions it. It was a hard conversation, there were times when I felt like I was letting her down, and times when she felt like she was letting me down, but in the end Aly was happy to finally have a decision and so am I.

So today, I have a daughter who made a tough but mature decision and she is ready to get on with what comes next. Her Mom however is moving slowly and taking a little more time to get into the day. If you will excuse me I think it is time for another dose of Tylenol!

No comments: