Friday, June 7, 2013

Rest

“I am setting my alarm for 6:00 AM instead of 5:30 AM in the morning.” I told my youngest last night. “You are on your own to get yourself up for your last day of school tomorrow”. “OK, Mom” my daughter said to me. Imagine my delight when at 4:30 AM my eyes popped open and my morning to sleep in became my morning to get up early. It made no sense to keep tossing and turning I had laid there for a while and by 5:00 AM I gave up all hope and got up.

What happens to our brains that when we want the sleep our bodies fight us and when we need to stay awake, we are exhausted and stuck being awake? For whatever reason, my body seems to fight me no matter what I chose to do. In the end all I want is some rest. Why is my body not on board with that?
I postponed my morning cup of coffee, made my bed, folded some laundry, let the dogs out. I also wrote a couple emails and bickered with my daughter about taking time to take her allergy medicine even though she felt she had no time (Hmmmm did she wake up late?).  It is completely selfish my insisting on her taking her medicine…it is so that I do not get crabby Patti later because she does not feel well. All this before I dressed for my morning walk with my friends.

At this point I am awake and I hope that I remain awake. Mark will be home today after another week working in Atlanta, and I would like to stay awake long enough for him to feel welcomed home. Nothing says love like your wife falling asleep in the first 20 minutes of you being home, right?


Perhaps my down fall is expecting this over active brain of mine to cooperate with my body. As soon as my brain thought it sensed my being slightly alert, it leaped into action reminding me of all of the things I hoped to accomplish. So at 4:30 AM all the lights went on in my brain and rest time was over. The upside is I can accomplish more than I expected, the down side…I will probably be tired before it is socially acceptable. I will try to nap so that I can spend time with my husband later (if my brain will allow it). I hope that you are well rested today and that your brain will rest along with you!

No comments: