Thursday, September 13, 2012

Life Happens

You know the saying: Life happens while you are making other plans? Well, life happens whether you like it or not is another possible turn of that phrase. Yesterday afternoon after all my chest pounding about not being worthy of a shelf stocking truck unloading job, the phone rang and well…you know, they offered me the job.
Here is the thing, I don’t want it anymore. I mean we have talked about this and we all know that for me right now I am where I am suppose to be, but I am not going to lie I felt a lot better about myself after I declined their offer. I actually had been feeling like I had no redeeming talents in my work life toolbox. I was beginning to worry that if something happened and my help was needed to keep the financial home fires burning, I would be out of luck.
That one call yesterday brought my self esteem up a notch and helped me realize that you just have to ride life’s wave. Nothing, absolutely N O T H I N G happens the way we think it should, everything happens the way it is supposed to. People do not call when you want them to, cars do not start when you need them to, our kids do not listen the way they are supposed to and promises are not kept.  In the end it is all okay.
I have no illusions that I am done trying to cram more things into my life. It is what I do best, over stocking my life shelves is all part of who I am (Like how I put the shelf stocking part in there?), but I am walking away a little smarter and a little less ready to jump on every event and job out there. I am ready to sit back and release control a little bit and let life “happen” without me forcing it.
 Just the other night I was invited to a local Woman’s philanthropic organization for their first meeting of the year. It was not something I had planned on and when the out of the blue invite came I thought…“why not!” That decision tuned out to be a life happens moment. I ended up reconnecting with women I had not talked to in sometime and one woman in particular made that evening the most memorable when she said “I am so glad you came, I have always had a warm place in my heart for you”.
That one comment warmed my heart and helped me realize that sometimes when you are not even trying or planning on it, you touch another life. Life just happens and working hard to fill a void is not the answer. Riding the wave, letting life happen whether you like it or not, puts you where you need to be.  You hear and feel things that no amount of heavy lifting or planning could possibly conjure up for you. I have let go, I have declined an opportunity and at the same time opened myself up to my life and its agenda.

No comments: