Friday, November 18, 2011

Peacefulness


In front of me this morning is a warm roaring fire. The fall crisp air is slowly turning to the chill of winter and I awoke this morning to thin slivers of ice on our little pond and my breath forming steam as I enjoyed my morning walk. The fire is a fabulous reward and it is also calming. Gazing into the fire light seems to center me and bring me to a peaceful place.

 
Peacefulness is an allusive feeling these days as I balance all of my emotions about family wills, job searches, college searches and of course planning for Thanksgiving. Staring down the fire seems to help me align my thoughts and make them more manageable. The truth is that having peace of mind is really the best way to handle it all anyway. Everything that is in my head is really in God's hands and I remember that a couple of days ago I was yammering on about releasing my worries. This fire seems to be saying to me "Be at peace, you are OK, you are loved and you are where you are meant to be.

 
Last night as my girls and I sat by the fire, we were talking about the winter that is gradually approaching and I found myself excited for the possibility of the snow days to come. I love those days when the weather turns and the snow falls and the schools close. There is nowhere to go, nowhere to be and the snow brings with it a calm hush as if to say "Shhhhh relax be at peace. Those are the days when the big blankets come out and you find yourself calmly reading a forgotten book or enjoying a cup of coffee in front of a warm fire.

 
This morning is a wonderful taste of the moments that are ahead, the calm, the peace and the warmth. You have probably figured out by now that I like winter. I sincerely do not mind the snow or the cold. I actually enjoy all the seasons for one reason or another. Today as I watch the sun working hard to peak through the clouds and the wind tearing away the last of the leaves on the trees, I am finding the ending of fall and the beginning of winter is bringing peace to my soul. Who knew that the peacefulness I have been searching for was right here in my fireplace all the time?

No comments: