Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Bite Size Pieces

Image result for sandwich pictures

Last week was a dozy! I had so much going on…some of it was plans I already knew about and some of it was things I added to my week when I forgot about the plans I already had and some of it was just fun things that came up that I did not want to miss. Ugh! I felt like I was climbing a wall with noodles for arms. Every time I looked at the week ahead I would go into a mental panic. I would beat myself up and flail around in my brain. I was only making it worse than it already was.

As the week cracked open I knew there was no turning back and I found myself searching for a way to make it through the week without losing the few marbles I have left. I sat myself down and took some time (limited time) to think it all through. I decided that rather than panic it would be better to just accept that I was over booked and since I had made the bed I was lying in I should at least enjoy it. That is when I hit on the idea of looking at each day separately. Rather than facing the week like a life sentence I would look at each day as a separate bite.

I thought of it as a life sandwich. I would never shove a whole sandwich in my mouth, so why would I shove a whole week in my brain at one time. Each day I would spend the day mentally focused on that day. I chose not to complain or share my overload with others (well, except the few times I would mention something to my husband, than say out loud that I needed to just take one bite at a time. I know, lucky guy, right?) But quite honestly my crazy idea worked. I faced each day as its own bite and let the rest of the weeks sandwich stay wrapped for freshness.


I ended the week tired, but I had actually enjoyed each day and did not feel stuffed or overwhelmed by the week’s many layers. I learned that life is sometimes busy and overwhelming but it can be enjoyed one day at a time. In bite size pieces, of course!

No comments: